Today I’ve got a call from a client regarding a new Hyper-V 2008 R2 SP1 cluster, the create cluster wizard kept failing during the forming cluster step with a timeout..
- Running Cluster LOG /gen
- Doing some reading…
- Locating the step and the error:
[NODE] Node 1: New join with node2: stage: ‘Authenticate Initial Connection’ status HrError(0x80090322) reason: ‘[SV] Authentication failed’
DBG [CHANNEL 172.16.1.2:~3343~] Close().
WARN cxl::ConnectWorker::operator (): HrError(0x80090322)’ because of ‘[SV] Authentication or Authorization Failed’
- Looking up 0x80090322 with ERR.EXE means SEC_E_WRONG_PRINCIPAL
- Lazy me , doing google for 0x80090322 cluster authentication failed
- Read “2 node cluster windows 2008 R2 cluster won’t form”
- Delete two users that were created to manage the servers.. node1 and node2 🙂
- Run create cluster wizard again – SUCCESS !
- Retrospective understand the error… SEC_E_WRONG_PRINCIPAL seems like the wizard can’t tell the difference between the user accounts and the computer accounts. (“By Design”)
Nice ! I was shocked from the solution.. but hey.. it worked instantly.